In the begining
Pick up a Change-of-Address Kit from the Post Office and fill out:
- Friends and family
- Insurance companies
- Credit card companies
- Magazines and newspapers – cancel local newspaper delivery
- Doctors, dentists and other providers – transfer drug prescriptions
Take a look around the house. Start to think about what you don’t want to take with you.
- Use up perishable foods
- Sell, donate or hold a garage sale for unwanted items
Prepare a list of what you want to move.
- Large appliances?
- Outside furniture?
Order packing supplies from Aussie Bubble & Box:
- Packing and masking tape
- Packing paper
Book the move with Aussie Man Removals either online or by phone on 0203 405 2000. NB It is particularly important to book the move well in advance if you want to move at the weekend or at the end of a month when demand is high.
Start packing boxes. Mark boxes clearly as to contents and room to be placed in. Mark “Open First” clearly on boxes containing important items to be unpacked first:
- Pots and pans
- Alarm clock
- Special toys
- Light bulbs
- Tools – hammer, pliers, wrench
Make arrangements for picking up your important records:
- Optician, optometrist
Contact your child’s new school and notify them of your upcoming move to their area.
Two weeks before the move
Pack your vital documents in one place:
- Military records
- Mortgage records
- Marriage license
- Birth certificates
- Vehicle titles
- Stock certificates
- Insurance papers
- Bank records
- School records
- Medical records
- Tax records
Make arrangements to disconnect your utilities. Get refunds for any deposits made. Have meters read. Give new address for them to send their final bill:
Make arrangements to connect utilities at your new residence.
Make arrangements for cleaning.
Check with your insurance company about transferring coverage to your new home.
Arrange to have a sitter watch your children at their house on moving day.
Reconfirm move arrangements with Aussie Removals either online or by phone on 020 8870 4003.
Ensure parking space is reserved according to local parking regulations. This is normaly the Client’s responsibility and any parking fines might be charged to you!
Purchase extra moving insurance if you have valuable antiques and collections. Ask our office for a quote.
One week before the move
Plan what goes in the car with you:
- Toys and games for kids
- Special breakable items or collections
- Important documents and records
- Change of clothes and toiletries for your first day
- Vacuum cleaner – if you want to clean right away
- Toilet paper
- First aid kit
- Food kit with bottled water, cereal, bananas
Make travel arrangements for your pets and plants.
Have your car tuned up.
The day before the move
- Defrost, clean and air out your refrigerator.
- Clean your stove.
- Make sure you have payment ready for the mover.
- Get a simple breakfast ready for the next morning.
- Take down curtains and curtain rods.
- Get a good night’s sleep!
The move day
- Strip your beds.
- Show our movers around. Make sure your possessions to be moved are inventoried with them.
- Get all keys together. Put in a safe spot.
- Make sure our van driver has correct address, phone number and directions.
- Check all rooms one last time. Remember closets and cupboards, and garage!
- Make sure all windows and doors are locked.